5 European Countries That Are Against Europe's 2035 EV-Only Rule - EV Motors

5 European Countries That Are Against Europe’s 2035 EV-Only Rule

Electric cars have gained popularity all over the world. However, EVs are particularly famous in first-world countries than anywhere else.

This can be correlated with the high income and better standards of living of the people in these countries.

How Is Europe Leading The Race Of Going Carbon Neutral?

Europe is trying hard to become the first continent ever to go carbon neutral by 2050. This might sound a bit too difficult for now however EU is striving hard to achieve this milestone.

To get to this breakthrough, European countries are trying hard to ban the sales of gas and diesel-powered vehicles by 2035.

This will be difficult to achieve as not everyone has the resources and not all automakers are ready for this right now.

Contrary to what you might think, there are 5 countries in Europe as well that are against the 2035 EV-only rule.

A Decisive Consensus

It is worth noting that for setting this rule, a consensus was held in Europe.

According to the latest reports, five countries have decided to vote against this rule stating that it is too early to stop gasoline and diesel vehicle production altogether.

media.wired.com

These countries won’t be able to meet the deadline and thus they have voluntarily accepted their slow adoption rate in this regard.

Which 5 Countries Have Opposed The Rule?

Reuters has reported that the five countries that have decided to go against this rule include:

  • Bulgaria;
  • Italy;
  • Romania;
  • Slovakia;
  • Portugal
More About The EV-Only Rule

This latest rule has been established to cut down the carbon content in the atmosphere. That is why it is targeting to cut down these emissions by 100% by 2035.

cdn.motor1.com

ICE vehicles, whether gasoline or diesel-powered, have carbon emissions. This is why according to this rule, no new ICE vehicles will be allowed after the year 2035.

However, it is also worth noting that only new electric vehicles will be permissible by the EU if this rule is accepted.

This will not just be a major setback for all conventionally powered automakers but will also concurrently provide a strong push to the world of EVs.

What Are These 5 Countries Demanding?

Although nothing has been openly stated yet. However, according to our reports, these 5 countries have offered their proposal for the implementation of this law.

Even these 5 countries are not against the EV-only rule. Rather they accept it fully.

It is just that they are demanding that 90% carbon reduction be achieved by 2035. For the remaining 10%, they are demanding 5 more years.

This means that if the demand of these 5 countries is accepted, Europe will completely shift to new EVs by 2040.

This gives 19 years to automakers instead of 14 for transitioning to the electric segment completely.

iea.imgix.net
What Is The Impact?

The impact of the opposition of these 5 countries is yet to be seen. It is also worth noting that the result of the consensus will be announced soon.

Final Verdict

We feel that while the ban on ICE vehicles is a good sign, achieving all this by the year 2035 seems rather impossible.

That’s because only a few automakers are established enough, at the moment, that they can comply with the EV-only rule by this year. For all other companies, still, a lot more improvement is required.

Sign up for monthly updates on EVs, exclusive tips for drivers and more!

21

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.